This past weekend I had a fabulous time catching up with a bunch of my girlfriends! The 5 of us lived on the same floor during our first year at university and after graduation it got harder to get all of us together at the same time because of jobs and living in different cities, etc. So I was very excited when we finally nailed down a date that worked for all of us and I played hostess to my lovely ladies for a fun sleepover… just like the good old days!
It was a highly indulgent weekend, because we did what we know how to do best, and that is how to eat well!! Throw a bunch of girls together and you bet there will be wine, chocolate, fruit salsa, cupcakes, bread, cheese, and, and and!
As we were lingering at the dinner table with evidence of a shared meal scattered around us, glowing by candlelight we used tiny spoons to scoop rich chocolate mousse out of cute little cups, all the while reminiscing about all the silliness we have been up to over the last 8 years!
Did I mention the chocolate mousse was rich? Oh boy! That’s why you have to use little cups!
Seriously, who doesn’t like chocolate mousse??
I love these little espresso cups from Ikea. They are like my bigger latte cups but only stand about 3 inches tall. So cute! Who cares that there is full cream and chocolate in this recipe… you only need to eat a little bit of it to satisfy your chocolate craving anyways!
The recipe calls for 3 egg yolks. So what is a girl to do with the 3 leftover egg whites? Why, make meringues of course!
MMMmmmmm, it is amazing (!!) when you crumble the meringues into the mousse, mix it all up, and then let it melt in your mouth! Word of warning though, the meringues need to be in the oven for 3 hours! I did not realize this at first, so it kinda threw off my timing when I was planning my day.
Here’s how you can make your own (it’s really dead easy, I promise):
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 150 grams of dark chocolate (1.5 slabs of chocolate in my case)
- In a double bottom pan, melt the chocolate
- In a large bowl, whip the egg yolks until stiff
- Add the melted chocolate to the whipped egg yolks
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff
- Now add the whipped cream to the egg and chocolate mixture – mix until blended
- Keep the mousse in the fridge until it is time to serve
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of whiskey
- Preheat the oven to 200F
- Combine the egg whites, vanilla and whiskey and whip together
- Add the sugar bit by bit and whip until stiff and shiny
- Line a baking tray with wax paper
- Either scoop the mixture onto the wax paper or use a piping bag to pipe it onto the paper
- Place in the oven for 3 hours (for real !!)
- Crumble over chocolate muse and moan as you eat it!
Thanks for a great time girls! I can always count on you to eat chocolate with me!